Yesterday, we walked around Budapest and saw some of the major sights from high above the city. It was rainy and drizzly most of the day, but that didn't take away from the beauty of this old urban center. The city of 2 million people is centered on the Danube river, and began as 3 much smaller cities that merged together as bridges were built: Old Buda and Buda on the hilly east side, and Pest (pronounced 'Pesht') on the completely flat western side. We hiked up and around the castle district to some beautiful overlook points, and then spent a couple hours in the evening at a natural thermal bath called Széchenyi (pronounced: 'your guess is as good as mine'). It was a pretty great, and relaxing, way to end the day (no, the picture here is not ours, as it was rainy all day).So the Alps are beckoning and we are off to meet them. First stop, Vienna, and then we're following the winding Danube (at least for a stretch) into the mountain climes. Until next time, Sziasztoa! (goodbye in Hungarian)
3 comments:
WOW Holly! I am SO incredibly jealous right now (but in a good way). Your trip looks like it's been absolutely amazing! I CANNOT wait to see all the pictures in May! You make me want to go to Europe so badly - but Ireland especially. And damn girl - you are a good freakin' writer! I was laughing out loud quite a bit (especially ghute fhart or whatever it was called). I think your secret calling is to be an editor - and you can start with me! =) Can't wait to read more!
Love to both you and Joel
Katie
I'm patiently waiting to hear about the Alps and Austria! No news from you, but did enjoy reading Katie's comment! Hope that you are still having an amazing time and are just too busy having fun to write to us poor soles in the US. It snowed here this morning! Gotta love it! Miss you and thinking about you!
Love you both, Cathy
Hey Guys!
I'm so glad you are doing this blog! I just caught up on your trip and seriously, it brought tears to my eyes! I'm not kidding! I am so happy for you guys -what an opportunity of a lifetime! It looks like so much fun! Can't wait to see all the pics when we come and see you. We miss you a lot! Love to you both, Wendells
Post a Comment